In 1901, the U.S. Life-Saving Service built what is now the Coast Guard House Historic Inn. The facility was officially named the U.S. Coast Guard Life-Saving Station Number 314, at Arena Cove.
This is how it looked in the 1940s during the height of it's Life-Saving missions.
The life-boats, stored and maintained here, were manned by resident Surfmen and launched during many daring sea rescues. The seas and rocky shores along the north coast imperilled enough ships to keep the Life-Saving Station busy for many years.
Today, the two-story Cape Cod style Coast Guard House stands proudly restored as a steadfast symbol of the honorable service performed here for over fifty years.
Below left are Surfmen in front of the boat storage building that is still a part of the Coast Guard House compound. Pictured right are the Surfmen in their life-boat in Arena Cove.
Below are historical photographs of the old pier at Arena Cove near where the Surfmen launched their boats. This wood structure was washed away during a mighty storm in the 1980s and replaced by the formidable concrete pier that stands today.
Below is a photograph from the early 1900's of the wharfmaster's residence and the Coast Guard Life-Saving Station.
Just below that is the launch from the boathouse.